A Sustainable routine data collection scheme for small scale fisheries should be simple.
Please keep in mind the following:
- Do not mix up scientific data collection with routine data collection;
- Focus on you major fishing units;
- Focus on your major fish species;
- Group your fishing units, to reduce you monthly samples;
- Do not make too many minor geographical strata, as for each minor strata and fishing unit you have to sample 50-75 fishing units per month. i.e if you have 6 minor strata with 5 fishing, then you have to sample 6*5*75=2250 fishing units per month. If an enumerator can take 7 samples on a day and he work 20 day a month then you need 2250/(7*20) = 16 enumerators. Do you have the funds to pay them?
- Do not complicate the work of the enumerator by sending him/her to all kind of landing sites, sample at large landing sides only.
- Do not forget zero catches.